History of Vijayawada
The discovery of pre-historic remains belonging to the stone-age man all along the banks’ of the river from Machilipatnam to Nagarjuna Sagar provides evidence that this part of the river valley was inhabited by the stone age man.
Vijayawada literally translates to “The Place of Victory”. A legend narrates that Vijayawada was established by Arjuna around the Malleswara temple and Indrakiladri hills in commemoration of Lord Shiva’s Darsan he had, and thus named after him as Vijayawada.
Besides being an important religious centre for Buddhists and Hindus, Vijayawada is also a centre of Andhra culture. The Chalukyas of Kalyan once conquered this place, and the famous Chinese Xuanzang (Hsuan-tsang) had visited this place in 639 when Buddhism was at its zenith in the region
During the British Raj the city experienced significant growth. In particular, the completion of the Prakasam Barrage in 1959, and railway bridge on the Krishna River have helped the region expand its agricultural and commercial base. And Vijayawada Railway station is one of the busiest railyway junctions in India. The regions around the city have fertile soil and are irrigated by the river.
Regional setting Vijayawada is an important link in connecting the three regions of Andhra Pradesh and is a major transit point. Two National Highways, the National Highway 5 from Madras to Kolkata and the National Highway 9 from Machilipatnam to Hyderabad pass through the City connecting it to other parts of the country. It is connected to other areas of the state by state highways and district roads. Vijayawada is also one of the busiest railway junctions in India. The domestic airport located at Gannavaram, about 20 km, from the city connects Vijayawada to Hyderabad by air.